Currently, the article "Kungei Alatau" transmitted for translation into English.
GPS coordinates 42.919224, 77.268219
The Kungei Alatau ridge is the southern ridge of the Northern Tien Shan and on the west it surrounds the basin of Lake Issykul by a thick wall. The name "Kungei" is translated as "south-facing, sunny slope."
About in the middle of the ridge there is the Shiliko-Kemin col, which connects the Ile and Kungei Alatau ridges over which the border between Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan is formed.
The northern macroslopes of the Kungei Alatau belonging to Kazakhstan, east of the Shiliko-Kemin col, extend 165 km in a south-eastern direction. The northern slopes of the Kungei Alatau from the Zharbulak gorge to the Karakiya gorge are flat, syrt-shaped - flattened, wavy, plateau-like surfaces, located at altitudes of 2900 - 3200 m. The eastern slopes are covered with forests. The gorges have an average length of 17 - 20 km.
In the Sutbulak, Tulkisay and Karasai gorges, in the alpine meadow zone there is a group of 10 small lakes. The upper reaches of the Kutyrgan and Taldy rivers preserved traces of the retreat of mountain glaciers as a chain of picturesque moraine lakes.
In the forest zone of the northern slope of the Kungei Alatau there is the State National Natural Park "Kolsay Kolderі", the main attractions of which are the Kolsai lakes and Lake Kaindy.
The eastern boundary of the Kungei Alatau ridge is Saryaygyr mountains, the Santas pass and the valley of the Karkara river. On the eastern side of the Shiliko-Kemin col there are large glaciers such as Zhangyryk, Zhangyryk Yuzhny, Novy, where the Zhangyryk river has its rise. The Korzhenevsky and Bogatyr glaciers, which lie on the southern slope of the Ile Alatau, are the sources of the Southeastern Talgar river.
At the confluence of the Zhangyryk and Southeastern Talgar rives, the Shilik river is formeed.
In the Zhalanash valley at the northern foot of the Kungei Alatau ridge, there is the only road that goes to the village of Kurmety. Further, driving up the gorge in the area between the Kutyrgan and Kaskasu gorges is impassable because of extended defiles along the river-bed. So, in order to get to the river valleys in the middle course, you can only do it over negotiable passes of the Issyk and Turgen gorges of the Ile Alatau range.
From the standpoint of tourism, the most visited tourist areas of the Kungei Alatau are the State National Natural Park "Kolsay Kolderі" and the area of the Shiliko-Kemin col, where mountain routes of increased complexity and length are laid. A very interesting area for water tourism is the Shilik river along which water routes of the highest category of complexity are laid.
The passes of the ridge, over which you can get to the Issykul valley are very popular among lovers of mountain trekking. The shortest route to Issykul is in the Kolsay gorge. It can be taken over three lakes and the Sarybulak pass in three days.
In terms of mountaineering the Kungei Alatau ridge is also of interest, as of about 150 peaks of it were conquered about 40 peaks of varying complexity. The area of the Kungei Alatau ridge from the valley of the Zharbulak river in the west to the Taldy valley in the east, stretching for 75 kilometers have never been visited by climbers. So far, the most attractive in terms of mountaineering have been the cirques of the Zhangyryk, Novy, Kensu and Taldy glaciers.
After the first ascent, many conquered peaks have not been ascended again.
- Show on mapHow to get?Shilik-Kemin jumper
- Show on mapHow to get?Shet-Merke River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Chon-Urukti River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Tulkisay River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Taldy River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Sutbulak gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Saty River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Orta-Merke River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Gorge of Novyi glacier
- Show on mapHow to get?Kutyrgan River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kurmekti River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kugantor gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kishi-Urukti River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kensu River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kensay River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Karasay River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Karakiya River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kairakty gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kaiyndy River Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Zharbulak Gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Korymdyk gorge
- Show on mapHow to get?Kolsay River Gorge